Wednesday, November 14, 2012


November 11, 2012

Going with the Flow

                                                                             Helen Frankenthaler

This morning after we set up all of our equipment, covered the table and took over the kitchen counter we were ready for our art experiment based on the work of Helen Frankenthaler (December 12, 1928 – December 27, 2011). She was an American abstract expressionist  painter. She worked with diluted oil paint directly on untreated canvass. So, the paint soaked or flowed into the surface.  

Cannon used liquid watercolors on multipurpose paper.  He moistened the paper with a sea sponge and then he dropped primary colors onto the paper and watched the color soak or flow into the paper.  We made lots of experiments. 






We sprinkled sea salt on the wet colors to give texture to the paint.  Where did this salt come from?  We found the coast of Spain and South Africa.

Cannon used his pincher fingers to fill and squeeze/release the paint from the dropper.  This work is in prepartion for the book Cannon is making for his baby sister for Christmas.
 
                                                                                          Blue and Yellow by Cannon 2012

While the paint was drying we took a break. We enjoyed the blueberry muffins that  Cannon and his dad had made the day before.  Then he started writing the book about colors for Avalon. He used his “talker” to find and share the information he wanted to add to the story. He typed the words onto my computer. They are ready to add to the book when the paintings are ready.














 Then it was time to get some more exercise with the clay and the pasta machine.  It is taking a lot of effort to create the right colors and patterns for this secret project.

Activities for the Week
I was so surprised when I arrived and saw baby sister dressed in a zebra print sleeper. The ZooBook I had brought was all about Zebra’s!   Cannon will put pictures fromThe Button story in sequence and talk a bit the feelings Toad had while he was looking for the button.

I think Cannon and I both felt a little sad at the end of our time together.  I think we both wanted more. We will wait for next time.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 




1 comment:

  1. These pictures have really captured Cannon's focus- an artist at work on his creations.

    ReplyDelete